Doug B. Marks is an of-counsel partner at Kunzler Bean & Adamson with experience in a wide range of commercial law issues. Doug graduated from the J. Reuben Clark School of Law at Brigham Young University in the top 5% of his class and served as Senior Editor of the BYU Law Review. His studies focused on business law, including contracts, secured transactions, bankruptcy, and tax.
After leaving law school, Doug took a position with a five-attorney law firm in his hometown of Sandpoint, Idaho, where he soon became a partner. Sandpoint’s small-town business community gave him a great deal of experience in a wide variety of business fields, representing clients such as Northern Lights Electric Cooperative, Panhandle State Bank, Unicep Packaging, Healthcare Resource Group, Bonner General Hospital, EPIS, and Coldwater Creek. In addition, he did a great deal of bankruptcy work in cases involving large businesses such as mines, ski resort developments, a hospital, and several other institutions.
When Coldwater Creek decided to expand its retail operations into brick-and-mortar stores, it requested Doug—who had been serving as outside assistant general counsel—to handle the legal side of its real estate operations. Over the next ten years, Doug successfully negotiated over 450 leases for high-end stores in major malls and lifestyle centers across the United States and managed the legal side of Coldwater Creek’s entire real estate portfolio.
Doug eventually left the firm to start a business with his brother, and that business eventually turned into several ventures that focused variously on online sales, software development, and law firm marketing. He learned firsthand how to avoid—and face, where avoidance is impossible—the pitfalls surrounding new enterprises.
He enjoys learning about the businesses of new clients and assisting them in all their day-to-day legal needs. Clients retain Doug when they want in-depth legal experience and insights on-call.
Doug loves camping, kayaking, piano, singing with his sons, and spending time with his family and good friends.
HONORS & EDUCATION
- JD, J. Reuben Clark School of Law at Brigham Young University, top 5% of class
- Bachelor in Political Science, Brigham Young University
HISTORY & EXPERIENCE
- Partner, Elsaesser Jarzabek Anderson & Marks
- Assistant General Counsel for Coldwater Creek over Real Estate Operations & Portfolio
- General Counsel for Rockwell Arms
- Senior Editor and Lead Articles Editor of the BYU Law Review (1995-1997)
ADMISSIONS & PRACTICE
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Bonner County Planning & Zoning Commissioner (2012-2015)
- BSA Scoutmaster and Friends of Scouting Coordinator (1998-2006)
- Co-Founder of Panhandle Alliance for Education (1998-2003),
- Secretary/Treasurer of Inventors Association of Idaho